Monday, February 2, 2015

As the World Turns

Interesting how the title of a popular [melo]drama series can sound so Pagan in another context...
Much like the script of the alluded-to TV show, life moves inexorably forward, whether we want it to or not.

Tomorrow is Bridghid, the next Solar holiday, or sabbat (celebrating the true astronomical cross-quarter, and not the calendar convention, as usual for me).  Tomorrow is also the next Lunar 'holiday,' the full Quickening Moon; the two events occur just over an hour apart, which seems auspicious to me.

'Wintering' the Yule season hasn't been without its bumps in the road; we had to have a run of drain pipe that wasn't installed correctly dug up and redone, and there's a tree that needs removed to keep the roots from messing up the drain again.  Our fence gate is in need of work, too, and now we seem to be in the market for some new furniture.

I think I have let work drag me down again, too.  People want to try to understand, but I think even the most well-intentioned don't quite get what a 12-hour shift with no break is like unless they've done it on a regular basis before.  If I leave the house before 7:00am and don't get home until after 7:00pm, that leaves pretty much zero time for absolutely anything around the house, not even relaxing.  Days off become precious commodities since 'evenings' don't exist, so then when things happen to claim your days off as well, it can be hard.

I did make some candles in honor of the double Holiday yesterday; I will take them out of the molds today and see how they turned out.  I wanted to have some verses written the way I did with Yule, but I haven't done that yet and for some reason it's not feeling as necessary for Bridghid, maybe because I crafted the candles as a Spell instead.
What I do plan to do to honor Bridghid is to rededicate myself to the home and hearth, and to the simple important things.  I picked up my cross-stitch again recently for the first time in years, and despite learning how much worse my vision has gotten, it felt nice--and felt right--to have worked on it.  The Bridghid 'season' seems to speak to me of the "spring cleaning" that everyone talks about but no one ever does, so Jo and I are going to take the next six weeks to simplify our list of possessions, releasing things that don't hold purpose in the present, and organizing those that do.  We will be working to put our home in order, which sounds like a wonderful way to honor the Goddess of Hearth and Home.

1 comment:

  1. We are having a very good holiday if I do say so myself! We celebrate everything from the traditional to the eclectic - just the way I think it should be.

    ReplyDelete